Pablo is a 3y10m, male (n) French Bulldog. He presented to our neurology service for investigation of acute onset hindlimb paraplegia.
He had been unusually quiet for around 10 days prior to becoming paraplegic, with radiographs and an abdominal ultrasound at the referring vets being unremarkable.
After this appointment, Pablo appeared unsteady on his hindlimbs and later the same evening became acutely paralysed in his hindlimbs.
A general physical examination was relatively normal. Neurological examination showed:
- Normal mentation
- Postural reflexes present in thoracic region but absent in pelvic limbs
- Spinal reflexes were intact in all four limbs
- Perineal reflex was also intact
- Cutaneous trunci was absent caudal to L3
- Cranial nerve examination was unremarkable
- Pain sensation was intact in the pelvic limbs